Monday, March 18, 2013

Author Interview: Alicia A. Willis

I'm very excited to share this interview with you all today. Alicia has been a dear friend of mine for quite some time. I was so happy for her when she released her first title, To Birmingham Castle, the first book in a series of three. It is an amazing book with tons of accurate history and a vivid story line. I really enjoyed reading Alicia's answers in the interview and I hope you do too.




Tell us a little bit about yourself:

Hi! My name is Alicia Willis, and I am an avid historian, writer, published author, church pianist, and musician. Other than that, I am a huge coffee/chocolate fan and I am a born-again Christian.

Give us a hobby and a random fact about yourself:

One favorite hobby is crocheting. My random fact is probably that I have been told by all of my book agents that I have a British accent and my mannerism is totally British. (Strange, considering I was born/raised and also currently live in New Mexico.)

When did you first begin to write?

I first started writing when I was about 10. When I first started, it was such a passion that bouts of writer’s block would make me feel guilty and even depressed. :-) I didn't get serious about wanting to be a published author until I was about 13-14, however.

What inspires you to write?

The lack of truly historical novels about the Middle Ages has been one huge inspiration. Another is the lack of modernly-written family-friendly reading material.

When do you do most of your writing?

Hmmm. Whenever I have time? Whether it be 2:00 PM or 2:00 AM? :-)

We know that you have completed one book so far and you have another in the making, is that correct?

Yes! To Birmingham Castle was published in May of 2012 by CrossBooksIn Search of Adventure, the second book in the same series (The Comrades of Honor Series), is currently a finalist in a contest by my publisher (praise God!). Lord willing, if all goes well, full-blown publication should start in April/May. I am also the author of a Kindle novella, God of Her Fathers.



How many do you plan to have in your series?

Lord willing, The Comrades of Honor Series will have three titles.

You are also currently working on a novella, I believe, set in the old west?

Yes! Just published to Kindle, God of Her Fathers is a western tale, depicting the struggles of a young woman left widowed on the bleak Kansas plains. The story line includes a handsome stranger, merciless desperadoes, and Ellen’s heartwarming struggle to follow her Lord’s leading.

Where do you get ideas for your characters?

Hah! Well, sometimes I observe people. Tyler Nichols, the handsome stranger of God of Her Fathers, was based off of a close friend. Other characters (such as Brandon de Walheign of To  Birmingham Castle) were fun combinations of masculinity, courage, and sarcasm. J

Do you have a certain ‘method to your madness’ to the  structuring of your books or do you usually just ‘wing it’?

Sometimes I wing it; other times, I structure it. It depends on the form of publication I will be using and whether or not I see a need for rigidness. My current writing project, the last book in my series, is being rigidly structured and outlined!



Is having a book published like a dream come true for you?

Yes!!! It was one of my number one dreams and the Lord made it come to pass!

You will be selling your book at the CAPE convention this year; are you excited about that?

Yes, I am, particularly as I will be in the company of a very dear friend. J

Do you have any helpful tips or recommendations for future writers?

Don’t ever give up! And, don’t be afraid to tear your book apart in your search for true talent and the ability to write well. Revision is painful, but you cannot obtain true growth without it. J

Anything else you’d like to share?

Thanks for having me, Sarah! I look forward to working with you at the CAPE Homeschool Convention and am eagerly anticipating the release of your titles!

Thank you for the lovely interview, Alicia! I can't wait to see more of your titles coming out and I look forward to getting a chance to read that new novella! You can purchase Alicia's book at the following link. Also be sure to go and visit her website and blog and subscribe!  Alicia is also willing to answer any questions you might have that I didn't cover. So feel free to drop them in the comment box below. :-)









If you're an author and would like to be interviewed, please contact me for further details.

5 comments:

  1. A lovely interview!! Thank you Alicia!! I can't wait for the next book to come out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I feel attached to this famous author already. =P I have been blessed to read all of her literary works first hand, and it has been fun watching her writing skills develope and improve. Keep up the great work! =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed this! Thank you! And I must say, the stranger in God of Her Father is particularly handsome the way he is described! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice interview, Sarah! I look forward to reading your own accounts of publishing one day. May God bless your hard work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! Please keep them clean and friendly to all. I try to respond to each and every comment, so be sure to check back!