Thursday, March 6, 2014

When You've Reached Your Limit

I sometimes think that the purpose of this blog is to show how imperfect a writer I am. However, I also hope that perhaps it will be an encouragement to other writers that we *don't* have to be perfect!

The last month or so I have been feeling extremely overwhelmed. I really couldn't put a finger on what it was in my life that was stressing me out so much, but I definitely knew it was there. When I woke up sick on Sunday morning with a 'stress and lack of sleep' migraine, I knew that I really needed to reevaluate my schedule and life.

I began looking at what I had been doing the past couple of months. I have just started directing a drama group all on my own, and, a couple weeks into the semester, I was pulled in as a 'fill in' actor for another group. So directing and acting (thankfully a small part on the acting side, but still acting nonetheless). Then we just started up our busy season for the ranch- bull sales. Went to Oklahoma, and we have Tucumcari, Belen and Montana still to come. Then, we're also still in the middle of calving (which doesn't include me all that much, but I still feel involved). Oh, and to top it all off, I was trying to write over 50,000 in about two weeks.

Huh.

I just couldn't figure out what was going on! I mean, I knew I had lots going, but seriously? I can handle this. Right?

Wrong. After an emotional breakdown last night, and a wonderful, wisdom filled conversation with my mom and, later on, my dad, I realized what my problem was. I simply had too much going on. As my mom and I talked, I realized that one of the things that was stressing me out the most was trying to finish this book in time for CAPE convention this April. I knew that I would really be straining to get it done, but one of the things I realized and what scared me the most? I wasn't enjoying writing.

In fact, I pretty much hated it. I wasn't getting inspiration for my story, and I had gotten into the 'writer's block rut' where I was simply writing just to get a word count in. Not a wise idea. And it has always been the biggest pet peeve to me. I used to say (and still do, sometimes) "forget the word count and just write a story!"  Who cares if it passes up the 50,000 word count in order to qualify for a 'novella' or what have you. Write the story, write it well, and be content. I told my mom that if I were to get my story published by convention, I wouldn't be proud of it. I wouldn't be satisfied with the way it turned out because I would know it was slapped together.

That's when I realized something.

I'm not a professional author.

I thought perhaps that idea might alarm me, but actually, it brought a lot of peace. It felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. I don't write because I want to make money with my writing skills. I write because I love it. I love the thrill of developing characters and the shivers I get when I construct a great sentence. I love it when I feel proud of the story I wrote. It's even better when I know that I did my best and that it turned out well.

Most importantly, I love being able to write to the Glory of God. However, if I am writing just to write and become famous, or churn out so many books a year with no inspiration from Him, what sort of a writer am I? I fall into the common writer's category of folks who just want to make a living off of writing. Now, before I go further, I do want to say that there are several authors that I enjoy that know how to write a book, but they also know how to write several books in a year. I admire them for it, and I praise the Lord that there are authors out there like that. However, I have realized that it isn't my dream to be famous. It used to be, yes (yeah, I was determined to go on Oprah Winfrey and on all major news stations as being the youngest writer who could write an amazing book.. oh, and let's not forget the New York Time's best seller.). However, that dream has been changed into something else. I want to write because I love it. I don't mind if people don't like my stories. That's ok. If I get a 2 star review, it might hurt for a bit, but it really won't bother me in the long run because I don't want to make it a business to write.

A wise 'Titus 2 woman' friend of mine once told me, "Yup, once I started doing such and such for a business I really didn't enjoy it anymore... so be careful what you turn into a business". Of course, there are lots of people out there who have turned a passion into a business and, more often than not, you have to have a passion for what you do in order to keep it thriving.

I guess I'm just one of those people who need to learn how to keep a business while still having the passion for what I do.

So, all this to say that I have decided I won't have a book ready for convention in April. I will go to convention with my one book that I published last year, and I will be proud of it. Then I will just tell other folks about the new book coming out in the summer. Then, I'll have more time to get it done, but I'll still have a deadline (I do better with those). =)

Now to all you new authors (and perhaps 'older' authors who have been doing this for a while). Don't be afraid to admit when you've got too much on your plate. It's better to back out of a few things than to do a bunch of things halfheartedly or to realize that you didn't do a good job on all of the things you signed up for. I would much rather do a few things in life and be proud of how I did and feel satisfied and content than to be overloaded and burn out way too quickly.

I'm off to enjoy a less stressful, more enjoyable month of writing. Feeling very much at peace with the decision the Lord helped me to make (I think He has probably been telling me to do this for a long time, and I just haven't wanted to admit it...). I'll just look forward to releasing a book in the summer.

Toodlepip and Cheerio, my author friends!

4 comments:

  1. LOVED this post, Sarah Elizabeth, thank you for sharing it. One thing the Lord has taught me through the publication of my first book is that everything is going to happen in HIS timing and that I need to trust Him. He always knows best. :-)

    Thanks for posting!

    His Princess,
    Bekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that, Bekah!!! It definitely has to be in His timing. =) Thank you for those encouraging words. I truly appreciate them. :)
      I'm glad you enjoyed this post. =)

      Delete
  2. You aren't going to believe this, Sarah, but I actually already was beginning to suspect most of this, but didn't have the courage or know if it was right for me to ask. I noticed you were stressing, as if it were an obligation for you to have another book and not a passionate desire because you love it so much. Now, I know you love writing. But I did notice and was just wondering if it was your love or your obligation. :)

    You know what I love about you? You are so real. I am trying to get better about that. And I just love that you've come out with your feelings and the realizations you've had. I love that you aren't allowing author peer pressure to force you into writing/publishing something God might want you to wait on.

    Can I just say I am so relieved for you and so proud of you? You don't have to be a professional author. Even if you never publish another book (although I hope you will!), you have done what God wanted you to do. My little brother was sitting on the couch reading On Grandpa's Knee today and it blessed me so much because I knew I could trust the book and it would be good for him. So your success is not in whether or not you are a professional author, but in that you are doing what God is calling you to do. Some of us are called to write professionally and get lots of books out; some of us are called to do only 1 or 2 books. It doesn't matter - what matters is that we write unto Him. :)

    So proud of you and I love you and I am going to be cheering you on at the convention! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alicia! Your words are very encouraging and I appreciate you taking the time to say them. =)
      It was definitely a really hard choice to make, but I'm feeling *so* much better now.
      I'm still planning on publishing the book... just not until the summer or something. =) So yes, it will come out eventually!!! I love to write, I really do, and I want to keep loving my writing. I just have to set more realistic goals and deadlines. =P

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! Please keep them clean and friendly to all. I try to respond to each and every comment, so be sure to check back!